There are supposed to be five broad ways as a rule of thumb to respond when you are trying to defend your idea idea and you are facing the attacks from others:
- Do not push out the troublemakers. Let them in and threat them with respect.
- Do not respond in half-hour speeches that try to drill people into the ground with information. Rather communicate in ways that are simple and clear.
- Do not let it get personal. No matter how much you want to lash out.
- Watch the whole group and do not get hung up on the one guy who is attacking you. Remember that to attack is very easy.
- Do not forget to prepare, preparation is important.
John P. Kotter in the interview for the Harvard Business Review, October 2010